General terms and conditions
2. The service is provided by Vodafone and shall be available for download to Vodacom customers only.
3. The service is NOT intended to locate your global position and no location details or GPS co ordinates will be made available to you or/nor any 3rd party or licensors with whom Vodafone and Vodacom has contracted to deliver the service.
4. The service does provide basic emergency contact details to contact emergency services in the event of an emergency. Any attempt to contact alternative emergency services will be charges for as per the user’s price plan.
5. Notwithstanding the use of the Vodafone Guardian service, you will still be able to use and maintain your normal GSM/3G network services to which you have an agreement with Vodacom and its licensors and service providers.
6. Some of the functionality and services may not be available to you if your phone has been soft locked.
7. Vodafone Guardian is an application designed to help mobile phone users block unwanted communications to their mobile phone and restrict access to the internet and other features on the phone. Vodafone Guardian is not proposed as a solution to control anti-social activities and behaviour such as harassment or bullying and this application will not block all harassing or bullying messages.
8. The Vodafone Guardian service should not be used or relied on as your sole means of monitoring and blocking. Neither Vodacom nor its licensors shall have any liability for the accuracy, totality, precision or suitability of the information provided by the service. If you are being bullied or harassed, we would recommend that you look at http://parents.vodafone.com/cyberbullying for help and further information.
9. Vodafone Guardian’s “I Do Not Accept” blocking function is provided only as a support feature for the user concerned. Vodafone and Vodacom recommends that the relevant authorities are contacted in any instances of suspected harassment or bullying.
10. Vodafone Guardian does not prevent callers accessing a voicemail account. Should this cause concern, a user may contact Vodacom Customer Care to arrange for voicemail to be disabled.
11. Vodafone Guardian will permit calls to Childline South Africa and charged at applicable price plan rates.
12. Vodafone Guardian does not block premium text messages. It is however possible to configure Vodafone Guardian to unsubscribe automatically from premium text messages by sending a “Stop” message back to the service.
13. In the case of emergency calls, Vodafone Guardian shall disable itself to facilitate such emergency contact. Following any outgoing emergency call a device reset is required by parent or user to ensure the continued application of Vodafone Guardian.
14. In the event that a user receives a blocked message, it shall be inserted by Vodafone Guardian into a marked archive. This archive should not be accessed unless considered necessary.
15. Where parents or guardians wish to apply Vodafone Guardian to their child’s mobile device, they may set up a guardian number and password to cover various functions. This extends to controlling the child’s access to Vodafone Guardian’s archive of blocked messages. You are responsible for keeping your password safe.
16. Parents or guardians should note that a child may disable Vodafone Guardian at any stage. If so disabled, Vodafone Guardian will send an SMS notification to the listed parent/guardian number.
17. Vodafone Guardian works on specific mobile devices – please check that your phone is compatible before you download the application.
18. Vodafone Guardian is provided on an entirely "as-is" basis and without warranty of any kind. Responsibility for the use of Vodafone Guardian is strictly and solely that of the user. Unless stated in these terms, Vodafone and Vodacom shall not be liable for any loss or damage, howsoever caused, in connection with any download or use of the Vodafone Guardian application.
19. You are not authorised to edit, modify, copy, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise tamper with the Vodafone Guardian application.
20. We reserve the right to change or modify these terms and conditions at any time and it shall be your responsibility to check these terms and conditions from time to time to ensure that you are familiar with the most recent version.
21. You will be charged for any text messages sent by the application at the standard text message rate in accordance with your price plan.The application is free to download on the Vodacom network.
22. We grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use Vodafone Guardian for personal (and not business) use only subject to your compliance with these terms. We reserve the right at any time and from time to time to modify withdraw features or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the service with or without notice. You agree that we shall not be liable to you or to any third party for modification, suspension or discontinuation of the service.
23. All proprietary rights in Vodafone Guardian is owned by Vodafone. You will not have any right to Vodafone Guardian apart from the right to use Vodafone Guardian in line with these terms.
24. Certain features of the service may require the collection, processing and sharing of personal information, which Vodafone and Vodacom shall manage in accordance with those terms and conditions relating to your privacy and data protection contained in your customer contract.
25. The Guardian application communicates over HTTP, but the data sent is encrypted and shared with Vodafone. The frequency of data transfer is once every 5 days. The file size being shared will vary between 1 and 2kb per session. Transmitting of such data will be for the Operators account at no cost to the user.
26. You agree that we may transfer our rights and responsibilities under these terms to another Vodafone or Vodacom company. If we transfer our rights and responsibilities to any other organisation, you will be notified. At any time we can reveal any information we consider necessary to satisfy any law, regulation, legal process or government request which may apply. If any of these terms (or part of them) cannot be enforced by any court or other authority, we will delete it from these terms and it will not affect the rest of the terms. We may send your notices by email, text, post or on our website. These terms will be governed by the laws of South Africa. Any disputes will be dealt with by the courts of South Africa. Nothing in these terms will affect any legal rights you have as a consumer.
27. We will use all reasonable endeavours to secure the uninterrupted supply of the service, and we will take all reasonable steps at our expense to correct any error, omission or mistake, but will under no circumstance be liable to you for any error, delay, interception, failure or non-availability of the service, and you indemnify us against any damage or loss you may sustain as a result of the aforesaid.
28. Vodafone Guardian is provided by Vodafone Limited.